Here you will find our most frequently asked questions. If you cannot find the answer you are looking for here then please call us or contact us via our website and we will be able to help you directly.

Can I hire the van from the night before?

Yes. If you would like the vehicle the night before your desired hire day, you will be charged the overnight charge for that vehicle plus the full days hire originally booked. Please see the specific vehicle page for exact prices.

Can I keep my van overnight?

Yes. The overnight charge is from 5pm to 9am. There is an overnight charge depending on what vehicle you have on hire. Please see the selected vehicle page for more detail on the overnight hire charges.

Can I rent a van for just a few hours?

We offer 4 hour rentals,  from 9am to 1pm or 1pm to 5pm, Sunday to Thursday ONLY.  Please see the van you wish to hire for details of that specific cost.

What size van do I need for moving house?

Selecting the right-sized van can be tricky – too small and you may need to make more journeys, but too big and you could find it hard to park. We can help you decide what what size vehicle you need to move all your stuff. If you’re not sure, the ...

Im moving house, I have a standard driving licence, can I hire a van?

Yes. You can drive a van up to 3,500kg with a standard car driving licence. This means you don’t need a HGV licence for vans such as the Transit or Luton. However, licence requirements change as you go up in size. To hire a van, you will usually need to ...

What licence do I need to drive a a Larger Goods Vehicle?

The Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) is the total weight of the vehicle plus the maximum load it can carry. This determines the type of driving licence you need to drive LGVs. Details below. ‘C1 and ‘C’ licences If the vehicle has a MAM between 3.5 tonnes and 7.5 tonnes then ...

Why would you need to call the DVLA?

In order to verify the status of your driving licence we require confirmation from the DVLA. In certain circumstances this may not be possible via their online system. In these cases we would need to call the DVLA to obtain the information we require. The cost for this is £5.

What is a collision damage waiver?

Collision Damage Waiver is a type of protection that limits how much a vehicle hire company will charge for repairs. Our Collision Damage waiver reduces the excess on the vehicle insurance from £750 to £250. The waiver is £15 per day / £75 per week (incl VAT)  

Can more than one person drive the vehicle?

Yes. They are still required to provide the necessary documents. There is an additional charge of £12 per driver.

What is a weekend rate?

Weekend rates are from Friday 5pm to Monday 9am.

What do I need to bring?

Please bring the following with you: Your photocard driving licence. (if you have old style paper licence you are required to provide photo ID eg passport) A recent utility bill, bank or credit cars statement, no more than 3 months old showing your address as matching your driving licence. A ...

How do I get my DVLA Access Code?


Do you have parking facilities?

Yes we do and you can leave your vehicle with us for the duration of your hire.

Can I leave my personal vehicle with you when I take my hire vehicle?

Yes – we have on site parking facilities where you can leave your personal vehicle for the duration of the hire.

Can I take my vehicle abroad?

Yes. Please ask for overseas hire prices. NB: Our Mini Bus hire comes with European Breakdown Cover. All other vehicles you will be required to arrange your own European Breakdown Cover.

Do you provide breakdown cover?

Yes – all our vehicles come with UK breakdown cover. If taking the vehicle abroad only our Mini Buses come with European Breakdown cover. All other vehicles you are required to ensure you have full European Breakdown cover.

What do I do if I breakdown?

In the event of a breakdown of vehicles less than 3.5ton gross weight, please contact the AA on 0800 107 5867 quoting your vehicle registration number. For vehicles over 3.5 ton gross and exceeding 5.5 meters overall length, contact: Emergency After Hours (for Breakdown Only) 07802 946390  

What if I want to cancel?

Cancellation of hire will incur a minimum charge of £25

Do I need to pay congestion charges?

Yes, you are required to make payment for any areas to which you travel that incur either / or congestion / low emission charges. Should you not make these payments they will be taken on notification from the relevant authority.

Copyright 2020 © Pontyclun Van Hire Ltd | Website by FunGrenade